Today is National Dentist’s Day! Did you know that barbers used to be part-time dentists? Find out more about this special day here:
Valentine’s Day, or St Valentine’s Day, is celebrated every year on 14 February. It’s a day when people show their affection for another person or people by sending cards, flowers or chocolates with messages of love.
Who was St Valentine?
The day gets its name from a famous saint, but there are several stories of who he was. The popular belief about St Valentine is that he was a priest from Rome in the third century AD. Emperor Claudius II had banned marriage because he thought married men were bad soldiers. Valentine felt this was unfair, so he broke the rules and arranged marriages in secret. When Claudius found out, Valentine was thrown in jail and sentenced to death. There, he fell in love with the jailer’s daughter and when he was taken to be killed on 14 February he sent her a love letter signed “from your Valentine”.
Yesterday was National Backwards Day and our team member Billy found himself having a pretty interesting day…
Happy Puzzle Day!
It’s National Puzzle Day! How did you decide to celebrate it this year?
For the second year in a row, we did a puzzle exchange in the office. Several of us brought in puzzles, pulled numbers and picked our new puzzles one by one.
National Puzzle Day was started in 2002 by Jodi Jill. She created the fun holiday to help share her love for puzzles. As a syndicated newspaper puzzle maker and professional quiz maker, Jodi Jill developed classroom lesson plans especially for National Puzzle Day and the popularity has grown year after year.
Is your office celebrating Puzzle Day or are you saving all of your celebrating for the comfort of your home tonight?
Tell us what you’re doing in the comments below!
What does your handwriting say about you?
Some people don’t pay much attention to their own handwriting or anyone’s for that matter. Others spend time perfecting the way that they write. There are even people who make a living off of their handwriting. Caligraphy is nothing new, but with online shops making it so simple, people have the option to sell customize work using their skills that all start with handwriting.
Take the Buzzfeed quiz attached below to find out what your handwriting says about you to others.
Comment below or on Facebook and let us know what your results say about you!
Today is National Clean Off Your Desk Day! To help celebrate this day, we’ve put together a short list of tricks that will help you keep your workspace clean and tidy.
- Limited Real Estate: most workspace desks are small and limited on surface space. Whatever you decide to keep out on your desk, ask yourself if it’s truly worth the prime real estate it’s taking up. If the answer is no – designate a drawer in your file cabinet to keep the items in instead.
- Weed Out Your Office Supplies: Only keep what you use most immediately on hand. Anything else that you don’t use on a daily or even weekly basis can be stored away for a later use.
- Put Your Monitors Up: Keeping your monitors on a small desk shelf or riser will not only help keep your neck and upper back from straining, but this will also give you some much-needed storage space.
- Ditch The Paper: We’re living in a digital age, which means we don’t really need to print out that email for our team meeting. Try to keep as many documents as possible in digital form. This will not only free up some space on your desk, but you’ll also be helping the planet out – bonus!
- Create A Routine: Start setting aside a few minutes at the start/end of your workday that’s devoted to clearing some of the clutter that’s accumulated. Maintaining a tidy desk is ultimating easier than trying to clean everything all at once.
We hope these few tricks were able to help you out! What are some things you do to help keep your workspace clean and organized? We’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below!
Do you consider yourself a word nerd? A word nerd is similar to a logophile, or someone that loves words.
Word nerds love to read, have a dictionary, and even use a thesaurus. They probably enjoy etymology, which is the study of words and how their meanings have changed throughout history. Word Nerds are likely to play and enjoy word games. They often have a word of the day or word of the year. Word nerds are always correcting grammar or punctuation, whether it is a natural inclination of theirs, people come to them for writing help, or it is part of their job. Editors may be seen as professional word nerds. Anyone who works in a job involving communications, marketing, web production and the like work in word nerd fields as well.
National Word Nerd Day is observed annually on January 9th.
January 2nd was Science Fiction day! To celebrate this fun holiday, we’ve put together a short quiz so you can find out which famous Sci-Fi character you are. Post your results in the comments!
What is most important to you?
What color appeals to you most?
How would your friends describe you?
Pick your spirit animal
Space or a Planet?
Do you prefer to work alone, or as part of a team?
The new year is coming up fast! We’re celebrating with a recap of what has gone on at Crisp Marketing in 2018.