Today is National Trail Mix Day! Did you know that Native Americans were among the first to eat trail mix, and originally included buffalo meat in the recipe? While our recipe does not include buffalo meat, it’s still a delicious treat that’s fun to make! So slip on your hiking boots, strike up the campfire and enjoy a salty-sweet treat for Trail Mix Day!
Crispy Treat Trail Mix
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups Teddy Grams
- 2 cups pretzel sticks
- 1 cup whole almonds
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- 1 cup chocolate or peanutbutter chips
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spread graham crackers, pretzel sticks and almonds in a single layer on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Place butter in a small microwave safe bowl and microwave in thirty second intervals until fully melted.
- Whisk in the brown sugar and vanilla extract.
- Drizzle the mixture over your dry ingredients. Stir gently to coat evenly.
- Bake for one hour, stirring mixture every fifteen minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before adding the mini marshmallows and chocolate or peanutbutter chips.
- Store in an airtight container for up to two weeks.